To the start
We are two guys who will cross the Atlantic by rowing. 24 hours a day by taking shifts. 2 hours on, two hours off for 40-50 days.
We will participate in the TALISKER WHISKY ATLANTIC CHALLENGE 2021 race.
- Annual event organized by Atlantic Challenge and sponsored by Talisker Whisky.
- Premier event in ocean rowing to cross the Atlantic.
- 30 participating teams across the globe.
- Duration 30-80 days.
- Each team will row in excess of 1.5 million oar strokes over a race.
- Rowers will row for 2 hours, and sleep for 2 hours, constantly, 24 hours a day.
- Over 11 million euros has been raised for charities worldwide over the past 6 races.
- Safety boat coverage during the entire race.
- The teams are supported 24/7 by two land-based duty officers.
- Mandatory race qualifications by Royal Yacht Association(RYA) standards: Sea Survival, Radio Certificate, First Aid at sea, Navigation and Seamanship.
- All boats have a position tracking system.
- Each boat is built to RCD compliance with ISO and CE approval to meet EU standards.
Through the project we want to raise awareness about the critical condition of the Baltic Sea. Our ambition is to raise 100.000 € for concrete actions to save the Baltic Sea.
The Finnish archipelago and the shores of the Baltic Sea have been our home since childhood. Today the Baltic Sea is in critical condition and is considered one of the most polluted seas in the world. The most severe problems are hazardous substances, risk related to marine traffic, loss of biodiversity and eutrophication. The Baltic Sea can still be saved but will require immediate actions. We have two organizations as our charity partners, John Nurminen Foundation and Keep the Archipelago Tidy association. They work with slightly different focus but they share the same mission when it comes to saving waterways, the archipelago and the Baltic Sea for coming generations. The goal is to raise awareness and encourage people to donate for their great work/causes to save the Baltic Sea.
The mission of John Nurminen Foundation is to save the Baltic Sea and its heritage for future generations. They implement concrete Baltic Sea protection measures that bring results, and ensure that the stories of the sea are passed on to future generations. Their work is guided by measurable results and impact. What benefits the Baltic Sea is the one and only goal that steers the operations. www.johnnurmisensaatio.fi
Keep the Archipelago Tidy association maintains environmentally important services, such as dry toilets, pump-out stations and waste collection points on all the main coastal and lake areas in Finland. The aim for this concrete environmental work is to make sustainable boating and recreation by Finnish waterways possible. www.pidasaaristosiistina.fi
A successful campaign is all about details in preparation. We have a step by step project calendar that covers 2020 trough 2022, to get us prepared for this challenge of a lifetime.
Our Rannoch 25 boat is ordered. Set up of physical training program for the next 2 years.
On water training starts.
Row the the Lake of Saimaa from the North to the South. A week of 300 km demanding training. Read more about the adventure HERE.
Boat hand over and shipping to Finland.
Mandatory courses in the UK: safety, navigation, ocean rowing, first aid etc.
OCTOBER – NOVEMBER
Ocean rowing training camps on the Swedish West Coast.
Project official launch / Boat naming ceremony at VENE 2021 boatshow in Helsinki.
JUNE – AUGUST
“Row the Baltic Sea”. 2-3 rowing events to promote our charity and partners.
Preparations in La Gomera, Canary Islands.
DECEMBER, Sunday 12.12
Race START in La Gomera
Arrival in Antigua end January (date pending…)
FEBRUARY – >
Partner events and presentations
John “Jolle” Blässar
In 1989-1990 we were sailing on the same racing yacht in the Whitbread Round the World Race. Since then we have been sailing several times round the world and crossing the Atlantic about twenty times but on different boats.
Later we were partners in business during almost a decade. During this time, we got to know each other better and learned that we share a weird sense of humour, a “never give up” attitude and clear ambitions both in business and in extreme sports.
Some fifteen years ago we participated in an endurance rowing race with traditional single lake wooden boats just for fun. The first time gave the spark to go for rowing as a fitness sport and participation each year became a tradition.
Now, after years of planning; thoughts and discussions have matured into a common decision; To combine our off shore sailing background, our passion for rowing and our project management experiences. We are eager to join forces once again and take the challenge to row the Atlantic.
Strengthen your corporate image & brand with our compelling story.
Strenghten your corporate image & brand with our compelling story.
This is a concrete project for your CSR stratagy, as we aim to raise 100 000 € for the Baltic Sea.
Lift your team spirit with team rowing, staff events and our inspirational lectures.
Multiple return on investment for partners
- Your logo on our boat, all the white parts can be used
- Earned media visibility
- Visibility through project media partner
- Lectures for team events, e.g how to prepare mentally & physically for an event like this, lectures and events after the race
- A cool & dynamic fundraising project that you can use in your corporate communication, CSR and HR activities
Are you ready for the adventure? We welcome you onboard!